Monday, December 15, 2008

Calzones

This is one of my favorite things to make when I have practically nothing in the house. I almost always keep Rhodes Rolls on hand, and the rest of the ingredients can be substituted for whatever you want. I like to put in sausage, mozzarella cheese, 1 can of diced tomatoes (drained) and sometimes mushrooms. I also often do ham with cheddar cheese. My sister in law likes to do mozzarella, broccoli, chicken and tomato sauce. Really you can put anything you want in there as long as the meat or veggie (if it is a hard vegetable) is precooked. Tonight I am doing chicken (from a can), diced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil.

Rhodes Rolls thawed to room temperature - they don't have to be risen, just soft enough to mold them.
Pre-cooked meat - cooled
Cheese
Anything else you'd like to add!

Combine all the filling ingredients into a bowl. Flatten a roll into a circle and place a spoonful of filling on the roll. Then you can either fold it over to make a half circle, or put another flattened roll over it. Then you just press the edges together with fork. I usually do a few of each for different portion sizes. I like to dab a bit of olive oil on the top of the calzone and put a little parmezean cheese on. Then cut a small vent in the top of the calzone so they don't explode in the oven. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes! If you don't put sauce inside the calzone I often serve with pasta sause on the side.

I really like this recipe because you can really use just about anything you have on hand. If you want some more complicated fillings, they have a few different ones on the rhodes website.

*I got this recipe from Liz Nelson

No comments: