Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Cafe Rio Pork"

This recipe was from a ward Relief Society cookbook, which in my opinion are some of the best ones out there, given to me by my sister-in-law Tanya. This is my new favorite recipe, I make it all the time, though I think I like it a lot better than Vaughn does.

1 pork loin roast (about 2.5-3 lbs.)
1 green can El Pato Sauce **
1 yellow can El Pato sauce **
1 small can tomato sauce
1 1-1/2 C. brown sugar - I don't like it too sweet, I use a scant 1 C.

Shredded cheddar cheese
1 can canned green enchilada sauce
1 can black beans
Tortillas - the uncooked ones from costco are the best, you have to fry them yourself, but so worth the extra effort!!

Put pork loin roast in crock pot with 2 c water, cook on high 8-10 hours.
Shred pork and drain any remaining water from crock pot. Place shredded pork back in crock pot with both kinds of El Pato, the tomato sauce, and brown sugar. Cook until heated through.
To serve enchilada style, layer on tortilla, rice Cafe Rio Pork, and black beans, then roll up the tortilla, pour green enchilada sause on top of the burrito, prinkle with shredded cheese and broil for a few min until cheese is melted.

**El Pato can be found in teh Mexican section, it is about the same size can as the tomato sause.
- This recipe was submited to the cook book by Pam Lynn

This is Stephanie, I just wanted to add a note. I had trouble finding the El Pato sauce, but here are the actual names:
The yellow one is called "Salsa de Chile Fresco" and on the other side it says "tomato sauce (mexian hot style)"
The green one is called "salsa de Jalopeno" and on the other side it says "Jalapeno Salsa"
Just thought it would help you find them! Thanks for posting this recipe Amy!

1 comment:

Stephanie Oram said...

I made the recipe for my in-laws and it was so good! It makes plenty of food and is relatively simple! Yum!